Big Bob-omb on the Summit – star 1
To get this star, you must climb to the top of the mountain and battle King Bob-Omb. Start by going up the bridge, then take a sharp turn left. Go past the Chain Chomp, then cross another bridge, then go right. Run up the grassy incline, then walk counter-clockwise around the mountain until you get up to the summit. Here you will meet the Big Bob-Omb.
To defeat this boss, run around behind him, grab him, pick him up, and throw him three times. He will attempt to do the same to you, so beware. For your victory, King Bob-omb will give you a well-deserved star!
NOTE: King Bob-omb will only take damage if you throw him to the ground on the summit. Throwing him off of the summit inflicts no damage.
Footrace with Koopa the Quick – star 2
Koopa the Quick is found near the first bridge. Talk to him and he will challenge you to a race to the top of the hill. Beat his time of 90 seconds and he will give you a star. Using the warps (if he see’s you), cannons or the Wing Cap is considered cheating.
Shoot the the Island in the Sky – star 3
Talk to the Bob-omb Buddy (the Pink/Red Bob-omb) and he will open the cannon. Jump into the cannon then shoot yourself out without aiming. You should land at the tall cannon. Jump into this cannon and aim like the video on the floating island. Alternatively, you could use the cannon on the side of the mountain. Make sure you aim yourself toward the tree so that you do not hit and island and skip off. There is a “!” box on the floating island that contains a star.
Find The 8 Red Coins – star 4
- For the first coin, go straight and to the left and jump onto the moving platforms. At the top is the first red coin. Note that the platforms flip over at the top: Jump up before it flips.
- On your left is a Chain Chomp. Trace his chain back and you’ll find a pole with a red coin on top. Wait outside of the chain chomp’s reach until he’s lunged at you, then run past and grab the coin.
- The next coin is located in The Field to your right. There are two rocky outcroppings. The farther one has the coin on top of it. Run up the side to acquire it.
- Fourth is on top of the Floating Island. Use the cannon on top of the other rock to shoot up. Aiming straight up will drop you right on top. The red coin is above the tree.
- Hop into the cannon and aim yourself over the Mountain, slightly to the left. You should end up in a grassy plain, with the mountain trail nearby. Shortly up the trail, there should be a split: off to one side is a slide with a red coin on the way down. This coin may take several tries: It may help to jump out onto the slide. Or, start at the bottom of the incline and run up to it WITHOUT JUMPING. If you fail, take the mountain path back up around.
- Moving on, right through the gate and next to the Battleground is a small bridge. Drop down onto the RIGHT side (looking out towards the field), and in the alcove is a coin, a switch, and a life. Grab the coin and 1-Up!
- Backtrack to the Paddock. In this field are the last two coins, as well as the star shadow that marks where the star will appear.
Mario Wings To The Sky – star 5
To get this star, you must first shoot yourself, via the cannon, up to the island in the sky. If you’ve completed the Tower of the Wing Cap, there will be a red ! box with a wing cap inside. Grab the cap and hop into the cannon on the island. Aim for the rings of coins, and if you get the center coin from each of the five rings, a star will appear in the field below.
Alternatively, you can get this star without using a wing cap. It requires at least three cannon shots to be done, however.
- The first shot should be aimed at the center coin in the coin ring, this should lead you on a ballistic trajectory that will grab the first three coins.
- Aim the second shot at the top coin in the ring, this arc will get the fourth coin that you need.
- The final shot is harder to aim. It should be aimed horizontally where the center coins were, but pointed high enough so that the top two coins in what remains of the ring are just outside the cannon’s circular field of view. Alternatively, after jumping in this cannon, do not move. Simply fire in the direction it points and you will get the coin.
Behind Chain Chomp’s Gate – star 6
From the start of the level, go over the bridge and run towards the large Chain Chomp. Ground-pound the pole holding the Chomp there three times, and the Chomp will run away after smashing the gate in front of the star. Just walk over and jump at the star to obtain it.